Shiseido opens first travel retail boutique in the Americas with Duty Free Partners

shiseidoShiseido opened its first standalone boutique in the travel retail channel in the Americas in Guadalajara International Airport in February. The 38sqm boutique was opened in partnership with Miami-based Duty Free Partners, and is only the second Shiseido travel retail boutique store worldwide, and the first ever in an airport. (The other Shiseido travel retail boutique is located in the Haitang Bay Duty Free Shopping Complex in Hainan, China).

Because Shiseido is aware of Mexico’s growth potential as a market for luxury cosmetics, it has partnered with DFP to showcase what is currently the only cosmetics boutique in the airport, explains Michael Gebrael, Managing Director Travel Retail Americas for Shiseido.

“Airport space is generally very limited, so Shiseido wanted to create a dedicated space where both local and international passengers could receive a personalized consultation while experiencing the Shiseido renowned spirit of hospitality known as ‘Omotenashi,’” says Gebrael.

“Shiseido believes there is much potential in this model. Our goal is for all of our customers to experience this unique level of personalization within an airport space.”

Shiseido is looking at expanding into another store in the foreseeable future, he adds.

Commenting on the partnership, Duty Free Partners CEO Fabiano Vivacqua says: “DFP is very excited about this new venture especially being the first TR Shiseido self-standing airport store in the world. This is a milestone for DFP and we are looking forward to continue this partnership in other locations.”

The Guadalajara Miguel Hidalgo International Airport offers a number of opportunities for Shiseido to reach its target customers.

It is the country’s third most important airport after Mexico City and Cancun International Airports. Guadalajara is also a major airport for connections, being a hub for Aeroméxico Connect and Volaris, and is a primary gateway to the United States. It is also a hub for Aeroméxico and a focus city for VivaAerobus and Interjet. Flights are offered to several destinations within Mexico, Central America, and the United States.

Guadalajara handles more than 8 million passengers a year, of which nearly 70% are brand-loving Mexican nationals, and the other 30% international. Shiseido is working with airport concessionaire Duty Free Partners, which operates and manages 14 Duty Free stores and 11 airline brands in 12 countries, and has significant experience with high-end beauty brands.

A beauty ideal based on the well-being of body and mind

Shiseido has a wonderful story to tell in its store. It is the world’s oldest beauty brand, and the 5th largest cosmetic company in the world today.

True to its origins, the company has been guided by three core values for more than140 years: “The pure, holistic experience of beauty with uncompromised detail (Rich); Human Science: Beyond chemistry and biology- extending to physical, mental, emotional and spiritual sensibilities, and as mentioned, “Omotenashi,” the Shiseido spirit of hospitality that welcomes you with an open mind and cares with an open heart.

“Under Omotenashi, Shiseido practices thoughtfulness and dedication to building relationships and pays meticulous attention to every aspect of our products and services,” explains Gebrael.
Shiseido’s latest major product release — Ultimune –remains true to these guiding principles, he says. Ultimune – a skincare based on Nobel Prize winning break-through research, is the first skincare technology designed to directly target skin’s immunity and directly targets Langerhans cells—what Shiseido calls little ‘skin sentinels’ that its researchers have found are linked to the condition of the skin.

Read more about Shiseido in the Americas in the TMI Orlando magazine.

Travel Markets Insider © 2017